- Clothing. You never know when the item you bring will not be the right size or acceptable to wear.
- Anything that will break easily or could potentially make a mess. The air pressure of airplanes is often known to make things burst during flight and items are often broken when luggage is roughly handled.
- Anything to do with the numbers 4 or 9. These mean bad luck and death in Japanese culture.
- Avoid the color white. White is the traditional color of death in Japan, much like the way black is in the United States.
- Items or brands largly available in Japan. It is better to give something that they have not heard of or cannot buy in Japan easily.
Another hint: Take the time to wrap your gift(s). Your host family will apreciate the beautiful wrapping and it will make a simple gift a little more special.
Please enjoy your host stay and good luck in finding the perfect host family gifts. If you have suggestions or ideas, post them in a comment below. Thanks!
Thoughts in teapots,